I can't believe it - but my #1 son turned 5 on Friday!! I know turning any age is important and a milestone, but turning 5 makes him in my mind "officially" out of the toddler stages. It's so exciting, yet sad at the same time. He's no longer that "baby" I once knew. He's growing up and maturning into a sweet, kind, considerate, charasmatic young boy.
We make a big deal out of birthdays in this house. It's that ONE day to celebrate YOU and only YOU! The boys each pick a "theme" for their party and I do as much as I can with it. (I don't go overboard - but BOY I could!!) Lukas chose army guys/GI Joe this year. In years past, I've always had one big birthday...family, friends, etc. This year, I decided to mix it up a bit. I had the family over for dinner Friday night and we celebrated with a camo cake and ice cream. I also started making their cakes after their 1st birthdays. It's something I enjoy, it saves us some money and usually tastes better than the store bought ones.
We make a big deal out of birthdays in this house. It's that ONE day to celebrate YOU and only YOU! The boys each pick a "theme" for their party and I do as much as I can with it. (I don't go overboard - but BOY I could!!) Lukas chose army guys/GI Joe this year. In years past, I've always had one big birthday...family, friends, etc. This year, I decided to mix it up a bit. I had the family over for dinner Friday night and we celebrated with a camo cake and ice cream. I also started making their cakes after their 1st birthdays. It's something I enjoy, it saves us some money and usually tastes better than the store bought ones.
I searched for "camo" cake ideas. I took a few different suggestions I found and mixed them into my own creation - even decorating the batter before baking.
Here's the just out of the oven:
Lukas loved it!
Decorating it took less time than I expected and I think it turned out pretty cool!
Lukas was as spoiled as usual. (I think people forgot Christmas was just a little more than 2 1/2 months ago!) ha ha
Andon was so good! He didn't seem to mind that it wasn't his day. He shared in the laughters and opening of gifts. Grandma Hazel even brought him a little something to open so he didn't feel completely left out.
Saturday we had his friends party. It was SO great that everyone could come celebrate and it meant SO much to Lukas. We had camo cupcakes for the friend party and all of the kids thought they were pretty cool!
I think I had 10 little kiddos running around and we loved every minute of it! Lukas himself picked out 3 games he wanted everyone to play. Instead of "pin the tail on the donkey", he had "shoot the bad guy with a Nerf gun". We play our version of "hot potato" using a toy grenade and also "bucket bonaza" by tossing the grenade into three different size bowls.
Thanks to everyone who helped make his day special!!
Happy birthday to our 5 year old! We love you Bubba!!
Happy birthday to our 5 year old! We love you Bubba!!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday Lukas! 5 is a big deal. I swear Teagen has changed so much in the few weeks since she hit that milestone:)
Love the cake(s). What an awesome idea!
Happy Birthday Lukas! I agree, 5 is huge!! Great job on the cake! Too cute!
Post a Comment