Today I started a new chapter in my life.
I ran my first ever 5K!! (Ok..maybe I should use the word JOG instead.)
Tom's been running 5K's for years. He got his dad into a while back and now they are running partners for almost all the 5K's around here.
One of my good friends, Heather, has been inspiring me to run with her. She's done a triathlon so I thought, there's NO way I could keep up with her! She came out this morning and ran with us. It was SUCH a great time!!
I INSISTED no way wait up for me since I figured I would be much slower than the rest. Heather was kind enough to bring me an iPod to listen to for encouragement. It was her daughters iPod and I now know the words to every Miley Cirus song there is! HA!
None the less...my goal was to come in at less than 1 hour. I was too unsure of myself since I only started jogging this Jan and haven't ran outside more than twice. I didn't have a watch on so I had NO clue how long I'd been running when I hit the 1 mile mark. 13:20 he calls out! WHAT?? Seriously??? I was running about a 15 min mile here at home so I was THRILLED!
I round the corner to mile 2 thinking I was FOR SURE over 30 mins.... 27:50 he calls out! HOLY CRAP!!! OK...at this point I'm thinking, I really CAN do this!!
The last half mile was ROUGH. A HUGE hill at the end which I walked up. Tom was done at this point so he came back to walk/jog it out with me. He kept encouraging me saying how many people were behind me and prepped me to keep jogging.
I see the finish line where Heather was yelling, Drew was snapping pics and my in-laws were waving with my boys. I came in at 44:07!!! Less than 45 mins!!!! I was SHOCKED!!!
And....I was 4th in my age group!!! The 3rd place girl beat me by 3 mins!!!
Needless to say - I'm sore, but it was SO worth it!!
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!!
I'm looking forward to the next one!!
4 comments:
Good for you Lea, I love that you are challenging yourself.. Keep it up!!
How great. What an encouraging post. I use to run before I became preggers with Abby. I keep saying I want to do it again but use weight as my excuse. Great job on the under one hour finish. That's Awesome!
Way to go!!! I, too, have taken up "jogging" on the treadmill. I tried to do it outside and I honestly thought I was going to die. 5k in less than an hour, shoot less than 45 min AWESOME!!! You go girl!!!!
Awesome!
It really is inspiring. It's high time I get my own butt moving again:)
Post a Comment