Thursday, February 26, 2009

We have a winner....

Ladies and gentelmen..we have a WINNER!!
And the winner is...peanut butter sandwiches!! Yes - that's right - peanut butter sandwiches. For anyone who knows Lukas knows he is not much of an eater. (Yes,he's a big boy, but thin and tall.) As a baby, he ate everything except items that had meat in them. Somewhere between the age of 1 and 2, Lukas resorted to eating only about a handful of items.

Now, I haven't been too worried about this and neither is the doctor. However, it's frustrating that a soon to be 4 year old is living off the following: Pop Tarts, pancakes, yogurt, pudding, cereal, fruit snacks, pretzels, chocolate milk and the occasional bowl of mac & cheese. (Notice what's missing: fruit, veggies and meat!!) We've bribed and had to actually buy toys because he's actually taken bites of things like fish or soup. However, sometimes things end up on the floor - like the soup. He has a terrible gag reflex which doesn't help.

So the other day I pick him up from Shellys, and he tells me he had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch!! I couldn't BELIEVE it!! Shelly said he ate the entire sandwich - crust and all!! So for 2 days in a row, he tells me he ate a peanut butter sandwich. AWESOME!! Tonight I ask him what he wants for dinner....you guessed it...a peanut butter sandwich!! I'm STUNNED! The kid has so far polished off half a sandwich and is working on the other half.

So - kudos to you Shelly. I'm not sure what you do to encourage kids to eat over there, but THANKS!! The kid is at least getting some protein now. We'll have to see how long this lasts...and how much peanut butter we go through!!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Good job Lukas...it has to start somewhere, right??? :)!

jennie said...

Well that is certainly the toddler menu, isnt it?

Teagen is my picky one(suprise!) i have discovered that she will eat any kind of fruit if given a bit of hershey syrup for dipping.

She will not eat peanutbutter. Ever.

Makes us crazy, doesnt it?

Shelly said...

I could not believe it myself, I'm already thinking about how I am going to get him to try something else.