Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fireproof My Marriage

This valentine's day was probably one of the best ever for me. As I mentioned in my previous post, Tom and I are not necessarily hip on celebrating it, but it has a special meaning for us.

Saturday we brought the boys to my parents around 3:30 and then headed to Red Lobster for an early dinner. There was only a 40 min wait at that time, so we dashed over to JoAnn Fabrics, bought what I needed, then went back across the street just in time for our table. It was a WONDERFUL dinner! It's not often we splurge on a dinner like that for the 2 of us and it's not often we eat out without the boys either.

After dinner we cruised the mall and ventured into every one of the campers they had in there. We're in the market for a newer one, so thought we see what the newest of the new had to offer. Unfortunately, we were not in the market to spend over $10,000 for one!!

We left the mall and couldn't decided what to do next. We could have went to Meijer to get groceries, I suggested hitting Manistee for a quick trip to the casino, but neither of them sounded "right". Instead, we hit the video store and rented Fireproof. I kept hearing wonderful comments about it and I figured Valentine's was as good as time as any.

I was very sleepy and figured I would doze of. NOPE! The movie was GREAT and definitely kept my interest the entire time. I was amazed at how eerily familar most of it was for me. I know most marriages struggle at one point or another. However, I would venture to guess our marriage has weathered more than the average. I found myself within both of the main characters at various times throughout the movie. (For those of you who know what Tom and I have been through and have seen the movie, I'm guessing you know exactly which parts I'm referring to.)

I would recommend this movie to anyone. Regardless if their marriage has had problems or even if you're not married at all. I have one piece of advice though: The main message of the movie can only be heard if the watchers are willing to be receptive. For me, the main message of the movie is something I learned a long time ago and have lived my life by for quite some time. So that portion of the movie didn't come hard for me to receive. I challenge each of you to be open and receptive to watching this movie and to be willing to receive the message.

This was a wonderful ending to a very HAPPY valentine's day!!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

So glad you liked the movie, you and Tom are the first couple that came to my mind while watching it. It has such a wonderful message that comes with it! Glad you two enjoyed your night together.

Kristin said...

Jimmy and I also watched this movie on Valentines Day. It was a very good movie. I agree that anyone and everyone should watch it (so much to learn in a marriage...ALWAYS) as long as you are willing to "listen" to what it is saying!!!

Theresa said...

we went to see it with friends and through the Fire Department. afterwards the Chief bought Pizza and had us all back to his house. I was nice, unfortunately we missed the first half of the movie because the people we went with thought it started later. We are going to BUY this movie...From what we did see it has a VERY POWERFUL message and it is a VERY wonderful movie.

Glad you had a great day!

Lisa said...

Glad to hear you guys had such a great Valentines day/dating anniversary Lea. I actually seen you guys in the mall going through the campers, but we were across on the other side and had to hurry by cause me and Kendall had been shopping for over an hour, leaving Brian in the van with Parker and Ryleigh! LOL. We also watched Fireproof last weekend and I totally agree it was a wonderful and powerful movie. We both had tears in our eyes by the end.
<3 ~L