Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's always something....

Parenthood always has us on our toes and seems to push us into directions we're least expecting. Today was the last day for Lukas to take his antibiotic he's on for his infected thumb. When he woke up today, I noticed his cheeks were pink. Not too unusual for him - he's very fair skinned and the sightest wind to his cheeks turn them a beautiful shade of pink. I ask him if he feels ok..he says, "Yes -my ears just itch". Ok..interesting..but hey, that's Lukas.

About 5 mins later I look at his cheeks again and notice they are now not only pink, but beginning to get litte bumps on them. Again, I ask if he feels ok. His reply (a bit more irritated this time) was "Yes...but my ears itch". An hour or so later, I notice his ENTIRE cheeks are covered with bumps. At this time, Shelly calls to see if Lukas wants to go to Sunday school with Hailey. Of course he does and I decide his "rash" isn't looking any worse. Shelly assures me he's probably fine as Hailey also had some rash around her mouth last week. When Kenzie and Hailey arrive to walk Lukas back to their house, Kenzie was a bit surprised to say the least at Lukas' face.

When Tom and I arrive to church after Sunday school, I notice the bumps are now all over his face and down his neck. NICE. After service, I find these bumps have now crept to his arms, stomach, back and were headed down his legs. The poor boy looked like he had a bad case of rosacia or chickenpox - minus the blisters. He looked miserable and kept scratching at his ears. So after church, we headed to Hackley ER.

For the record, it was the BEST ER experience I've had!! We were immediately attended to, the people were WONDERFUL with both the boys and we were in and out in about 20 mins. Wheew! So - the bottom line is, the poor child is allergic to amoxicillian (which we already knew) and now sulfatrim (which is what he was on for his thumb). Shelly was right! She told me that's probably what it was and kept reminding me not to panic. Kind of hard when your child is looking like he's being taken over by some rampid growing strawberry patch or something! So - now he's also allergic to sulfa. (And I thought nursed babies had a better chance of NOT having allergies!!!)

None the less - we're home and he's doing fine. Dr said to give him Benedryl 3-4 times a day and also prescribed prednisone for another 4 days. He said the Benedryl will either make him sleepy or hyper (sorry Shelly..) so we'll see. As a parent..it's always something!! :-D

2 comments:

jennie said...

Summer is alergic to all the "cillins". We havent had to try anything else in a very long time. I just hate it. Hope you little guy's ears stopped itching;)Poor kid!

Lisa said...

Glad you found out what it was and I hope he is doing better! The same thing happened to Kendall with Amoxicillin and it was one of her last does also.