Sunday, November 23, 2008

Babies are a blessing....

It's no secret that I love babies. And since I've had my boys, I've been able to realize just how much of a blessing babies truely are. I was reminded of this even more at church today.

Shelly was there with her nephew Alex. We sat in the pew right behind them which gave me the opportunity to watch Alex throughout the service. I watched how he played with Shelly's name tag, how he tried clapping when everyone else was, how he admired the singing and how he looked around in amazement at the church itself.

At one point, he became a tad fussy. Shelly's natural instinct to calm babies kicked in. She carfully tucked one of his tiny arms behind her, cuddled him in the nook of her arm and slowly swayed with him until he feel asleep. Now, you may be thinking, "so what? What's so special about that?" Well, during this time, we had a guest singer. She is a high school student at Mona Shores and had an AMAZING voice. The song she sang during this time of cuddling Alex brought tears to my eyes. It was a story about a little girl being by her daddy's side watching Jesus die on the cross, and it was told from the little girls perspective.

My view was the back of Alex's head, snuggled in his Autie's arm - safe, warm and loved. It made me think of how I attended church as a baby with my aunt and Gram. I couldn't help but think about how maybe, just maybe, by attending church with his Auntie, Alex too will get to know Jesus and all He has done for us. (Now - please do not take that statement to mean Alex's parents are not good people and don't attend church. They are great people who happen to work every weekend at the hospital so the other family members take turns watching Alex.)

Anyway - the point to my story is, you never know how or when a person fully accepts Jesus Christ into their lives. But one thing I know is, if it weren't for my aunt and Gram taking me to church with them when I was younger, I don't think I would have the understanding I do today. Babies are definately a blessing and watching Alex today brought back a flood of thoughts and memories. Jesus loves all the little children....and I can certainly see why!!

3 comments:

Not your Happily Ever After said...

What a wonderful blog Leah. Babies are a blessing and so are the people that help bring them to the Lord.

Shelly said...

I fully agree, the older we get I think we appreciate them even more. The song in church was beautiful I think it touched everyone in some way, I was thinking about how blessed I am not only to have my kids but to play such an active roll in each of my nephews & neices lives. Babies and children are sure blessing from God, thank God that he blessed you with your Aunt and Gram to start you on your way to knowing Jesus Christ.

Kristin said...

BABIES ARE SUCH A WONDERFUL BLESSING!!! What a great mother/person to recognize the inmportance of "taking the time" to bring babies to church.