Sunday, March 8, 2009

Economic Frustrations

I just have to vent....
For the first time I think EVER, I actully turned off the Discovery Channel last night. I was watching something like Incredible Beach Houses or something. Usually, I'm in awe watching these types of shows and usually get some decorating ideas and just fantasize about owning something so extravagent. All of a sudden last night, it hit me: Here in Muskegon County, we have 10,000+ people unemployed. Most of my friends have day to day struggles to make ends meet. We personally have been cutting corners and accepting more help than usual.

I actually had to TURN off the show because I was angry that some people in the world can still afford their luxurious beach homes and most likely other homes in addition. What probably frustrates me more about it is, most of these people have their money because we gave it to them: Movie stars & professional sports players. Don't get me wrong - they are talented. I just have a hard time understanding why they get paid more than some doctors who peform brain surgeries or are busy finding cures for terrible diseases.

Here I'm wondering how we are going to afford gas in both vehicles, and then I'm watching some beautiful ocean front homes with guest houses and inground pools. Maybe part of it was jealousy, although, that's never been my style. I think it was the first time the struggling economy has hit me so realistically.

I'll keep praying for better days to come.
If those better days include famous people buying more and more homes, then that's wonderful. For the near future, I just hope everyone is finding some comfort in today's world. At least we're still healthy, happy and so far, haven't had to go without.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I kept telling myself...it has to come around. (the economy) It has to! It's so frustrating and depressing!! I can totally relate to the frustration you see in "the famous people". Things will get better...I know it!!

Shelly said...

I to am so very frustrated, not really sure which move to make next. I literally had to stop watching the local morning news it is so depressing hearing about all the business that are downsizing or closing it's doors. I try to stay positive but it's getting much harder as more and more of us are now becoming affected. All we can do is pray and hold on. Things have to work out!

Kristin said...

I agree, it is very discouraging. I can only hope we have seen the worst and it will get better. I am not sure how much worse it can get.

Lisa said...

I know exactly where you are coming from Lea. Its getting really scary. Just when you think it cant get much worse it does. Every single industry is being hit hard by this economy...The worst part is that some of the analyst say that we have not even seen the worst of it yet. I hope and pray that they are wrong..