Friday, January 23, 2009

A lot of thinking

I haven't posted anything in a while and I've finally been able to catch up on most of your blogs. Seems time keeps ticking away and before I realize it, the week is at an end and I've barely done anything.

This week Andon was sick - VERY sick. Shelly called me at work Monday around 10am with panic in her voice - Andon was puking. I stayed home with him Monday afternoon and he continued to puke every 45 mins until 9pm. Tuesday morning Tom stayed home with him while I worked until noon. Then he headed off to work and I took the afternoon shift. Thankfully, none of the rest of us have gotten it!!

Wednesday - no clue what I did. Thursday my mom and I and the boys had hair cuts after work. Then we took the boys to the "big Mickey Donald's" as the boys call it. We let them run around and get some energy out. Tom works late on Thursdays so it's my "play date" with my boys. Here it is Friday and I have accomplished NOTHING.

Seems my mind has been busy even though I don't recall much of this week. I've been pre-occupied with a lot of things. Tom's Aunt Marcia passed away last weekend. His parents headed to MA early Wednesday morning.

There's been talk of layoffs at work for some time now. We are in the HIT building where all the Information Technology folks are. They were told a week or so ago they had to lay off 25% of their workforce. They all found out today that this Monday is "the" day. I have friends that work in HIT and I can't imagine what they must be feeling. Some of them have been there over 20 years and some have been there less than I have. Either way, it saddens me to think that Monday, some of them may be told they no longer have a job. So far, our department hasn't been told to cut back. After chatting with my boss today, I'm not so sure we are off the hook. With today's economy, I'm frightens me to think about how my family would survive without my income.

That brings me to another subject I've been pondering: Going back to school. I can't believe I'm actually putting this into writing. I've been contemplating this decision for a few years now. I have my associates in General Business. However, my heart has been telling me to do something different. I'm just not sure how it would all work out. Ever since my Gram was in the hospital in 2002/2003, I've been drawn to nursing. I have friends who are nurses and they have been helpful with information. I've also talked to pastor's wife who is a nurse and she was very insightful. I'm keep praying about it so God can lead me in the right direction. If there's a layoff in my future, it will make the decision crystal clear.

There's so much more I've had on my mind, but I'm unable to put it on a blog at this point. A big thanks goes out to all of you who have and continue to support me.
Here's hoping for the best outcome for all!!

3 comments:

jennie said...

Hang in there girly. One day at a time, right? I need to listen to my own advice;)

If you continue to think about nursing, my sister would be a good one to get info from. She can give you some insight as to what it's like to be in the program when you have 2 young children and getting by on one income( guess I could tell you how that is!)certainly different than doing it at 19 years old, that's for sure. But it can be done. I just really hope that you get the choice to go back, not forced due to lack of job:)

Shelly said...

Keep praying you may not get your answer right away but it will come thats for sure. It is very scarey out there right now with the job situation it seems to be affecting everyone in some form or another. All we can do is have faith that everything is going to be ok. For the record I think you would make a great nurse, if you are going to go back to school make sure that it is something that you are passionate about and nursing I can see the passion and the drive within you.... Keep thinking but take time to enjoy whats around you, I am always here for you.. Love ya!!!

Kristin said...

I know the feeling of the world spinning out of control. All I can say is hold on tight and enjoy the ride. If you figure out how to slow it down, please let me know:)!

Good luck with the job situation and school. I think if it is something your heart is telling you to do, than I think you should look into further. It wouldn't hurt:)!

Keep on prayin'...it's all you can do!!!