Thursday, December 15, 2011

If there's one thing...

If there's one thing I would love for my boys to realize it's this: Be kind to everyone you meet. You NEVER know who you're going to work with or for in the future. you NEVER know who is going to be your child's teacher. And you NEVER know who's child will be in class with your child.

I can honestly say I talked to a variety of people in school. I most certainly wasn't in the "popular crowd". I wasn't in the druggie/partier crowd. I wasn't in band or in school plays. But I talked to almost everyone and they were from all mixes of crowds. I don't recall being mean to anyone. But I definitely had my fair share of people who were mean to me. There are some who I won't give the time of day today simply because I never understood what I did to them to make them be so mean.

However, there are others from school that I'm in contact with now for various reasons. There is someone I graduated with who works where I work. There's someone else I graduated with who teaches school where my boys attend. There's others who have kids in my boys' classes. I've been fortunate enough to reconnect with some of these people.

One of them I can say I've really enjoyed getting to know. Someone I didn't really spend a lot of time talking to in school. But none the less, someone I've enjoyed having conversations with and sharing stories of our kids with.

My point is this - if you're mean to someone during school, it may just be your boss one day. Or someone you have to work with. Or someone who's kid becomes your kids' best friend. It's so easy to get pulled into the "suckers choice" and pick on someone because someone else is. I pray that does not happen to my boys. I pray that they too will get the chance to reconnect with people they went to school with and have a positive experience like I have.

No comments: